Ver Angola

Society

Funeral of student killed in demonstration takes place on Saturday

The funeral of Inocêncio de Matos, the student who died after a demonstration in Luanda on 11 November, will be held on Saturday at 10 am, according to a family source.

:

Alfredo de Matos, father of the 26-year-old, who died in circumstances yet to be clarified, told Lusa that the funeral ceremonies will be held at the Mulemba cemetery, known as 14, in the municipality of Cazenga, in Luanda, after it was held the second autopsy required by Innocent's family.

The official report, from Américo Boavida Hospital, indicates that the student suffered "bodily harm" with "blunt object not specified", having died after a surgical intervention, while eyewitnesses say he was hit by a police bullet, a version accepted by the family scored by Innocent de Matos.

The family's lawyer, Zola Bambi, said that the second autopsy took place on Thursday "according to what had been requested", namely the presence of a photographer and an independent medical examiner.

The forensic re-examination provoked disagreements with the Attorney General's Office, which opened an investigation to investigate the circumstances of the death.

The autopsy was initially scheduled for November 20, but the representative of the Public Prosecutor's Office prevented the presence of the photographer who had been appointed because he was "alien to the forensic profession", and Zola Bambi refused to proceed with the procedure.

The impasse was overcome after Alfredo de Matos made a silent vigil before the institution to demand that justice be done with his son.

Zola Bambi announced that he is providing legal aid to the family and that he will sue the state and the police, civilly and criminally, for the young man's death.

The 11th of November demonstration, promoted by the same organizers who had already seen a suppressed protest by the police last month, intended to demand better living conditions and the holding of the first municipal elections in 2021, after having been postponed this year due to the Covid-19.

But the concentration did not happen due to the police barriers placed in the accesses to the city, with thousands of policemen dispersing groups of young people using tear gas, shots and water cannons.
The police said they had not used lethal means, but protesters claim that live ammunition was used.

Related