According to Rádio Nacional de Angola (RNA), which cites a source from the Attorney General's Office (PGR), prosecutors closed the case last week.
The formal indictment, according to the MakaAngola website this Tuesday, consists of an order signed about a week ago, on 4 July. However, the generals only received notifications last Friday, the day José Eduardo dos Santos died.
The two generals of the José Eduardo dos Santos regime were accused of several crimes: "Kopelipa" will answer for seven while "Dino" for five crimes.
According to MakaAngola, "Kopelipa" is accused of embezzlement, fraud, document falsification, criminal association, influence peddling, abuse of power and money laundering.
General "Dino" is accused of fraud, forgery of documents, criminal association, influence peddling and money laundering.
In addition to the generals, the list of accused also includes the names of Chinese citizen You Haming, lawyer Fernando Gomes dos Santos, CIF and the offshore Plansmart and Utter Right.
According to the text of the indictment, consulted by Lusa, it all started with the financing agreement signed in 2003 between the Angolan State and the People's Republic of China, from which, from 2004 onwards, several credit lines with EximBank, CCBB- China Development Bank and Sinosure- Export Credit Insurance Agency.
The scheme that harmed the State was set up when "Kopelipa" was appointed by the then President José Eduardo dos Santos to be in charge of the National Reconstruction Office.
According to the indictment, Manuel Hélder Vieira Dias Júnior and Leopoldino Fragoso do Nascimento, together with two other defendants in the process, "concernedly devised a plan to deceive the Angolan State and, under the pretext of restructuring, they appropriated" with public funds and "marketed them as if they were their own".
"The defendant Manuel Hélder Vieira Dias Júnior knew that the National Reconstruction Office, which he headed, as director, was a public body, whose revenues attributed to it were also public and intended for the reconstruction of the country (...) The aforementioned Cabinet was not dedicated to granting loans, above all, to foreign companies, with whom it signed a foreign investment agreement on behalf of the Angolan State", says the document.
But "still, in 2008, it did not refrain from granting a loan in the amount of 150,000,000.00 dollars (one hundred and fifty million dollars) to the company China Sonangol International Limited".
Furthermore, "Kopelipa" "produced a document, the content of which he always knew was not true", which "convinced the President of the Republic" to allow the entry of goods with payment of taxes 'a posteriori' in the country "which was only possible because of the position he occupied and which he asserted himself".
In summary, the Public Prosecutor's Office concludes that the defendants in that case used the "companies Cif China International Fund Angola, Plansmart International Limited and Utter Right International Limited as vehicles for committing crimes".
The "defendants always acted voluntarily" and "consciously knew that such conduct was prohibited and punished by law", says the text of the indictment, dated 4 July.
And "it was through statements, which the defendants knew to be false, that convinced the former President of the Republic to authorize the Director of the Technical Unit for Private Investment (...) to sign and extend the object of the investment contract", add prosecutors.
It is recalled that the two generals had been made arguidos in October 2020 in the context of the same case.