The family members, who are looking for clarification on what happened to the marines several days ago, were only received this Wednesday by those responsible for the Naval Base, after releasing to the press a statement expressing despair over the "mysterious disappearance" of Lieutenant César Quissanga, from 32 years old, and the second corporal Leonardo Alberto, 24 years old.
Speaking to Lusa, Simões Moreira Chico, César Quissanga’s uncle, said that he was confirmed to have a shipwreck of one of the speedboats that were being towed by another Navy vessel, near Baía Farta, in Benguela province.
Five people were on the boat, of which two – César Quissanga and Leonardo Alberto – were not wearing a life jacket – and will have disappeared at sea last Wednesday.
"We are outraged that the Navy has not shown interest in communicating with the families and providing the necessary clarifications. It is not possible for anyone to survive eight days in the waters. We just want the truth, if they are dead give us the bodies, otherwise tell them where they are," he said.
According to Simões Moreira Chico, the family members learned of the shipwreck through social media and began to get worried when they were no longer able to contact the military, having since then tried to speak with the direction of the Navy, without success until today.
"That's why we went to express our indignation because the way they treated us is not correct, they didn't communicate the phone", he said, adding that it was Leonardo Alberto's own family who went to Lobito (Benguela) to find out about the whereabouts. son, having obtained some unofficial information from witnesses.
He also added that, in the meeting he had with the Commander of Patriotic Education, he was told to continue to wait for the end of the investigation and the ongoing searches, since the soldiers are not reported dead, but missing.
According to the same relative, those responsible for the Navy justified the lack of communication with the fact that they did not have precise information about the shipwreck.
Asked when they will obtain new information, Simões Moreira Chico said that those in charge of the Navy did not give a deadline to put an end to the searches.
Lusa tried to obtain details about what happened from the Ministry of Defense and the General Staff of the Angolan Armed Forces, which has not been possible so far.