Ver Angola

Energy

Chevron "significantly reduces access to facilities" but maintains production

American oil company Chevron said it maintained operations in the Cabinda enclave, admitting, nonetheless, that it "significantly reduced access to facilities" following the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic.

:

"Chevron has and maintains a strong and long-term commitment to Angola since 1950, which operates through its subsidiary Cabinda Gulf Oil Company Limited (CABGOC), read in a statement sent to Lusa.

In the text, it is explained that "in the past few days, Chevron has significantly reduced access to facilities in Luanda, Cabinda and the Malongo base to minimize the exposure of our essential personnel and allow restricted entry of critical personnel needed to execute operations safely ".

The statement by the American oil company follows the release of a false statement, also reproduced by Lusa on Wednesday, according to which the oil company would have even ended its activities in this enclave where Chevron produced, almost 100,000 last year barrels of oil per day and 324 million cubic feet of natural gas.

"Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, CABGOC is continuously monitoring the impact of this outbreak around the world and in Angola" and "has implemented international protocols in partnership with local health authorities under the guidance of the Angolan National Plan and the Ministry of Health ", says the operator.

The priority, he points out, "is to ensure the well-being and safety of our workers and their families", which is why "taking the necessary precautionary measures to reduce their risk of exposure".

These measures, concludes the oil company, aim to "guarantee stability and operate our base business in Angola in a safe and reliable way", which is developed "in a socially and ethically responsible manner".

Lusa tried to obtain further clarification from the oil company, but still without success.

Related