Located in Benguela, as the name indicates, the Palace of the Governor of Benguela was purchased in 1880 from a smuggler.
The building, from the 19th century, was surrounded by balconies and balustrades. In the center it had a raised floor.
The palace started to become very dilapidated, and between 1940 and 1950 it underwent renovation work. Directed by the architect Batalha, the building became similar to a Portuguese-style manor house.
Today, the Palace of the Governor of Benguela is still the seat of government of Benguela Province.