Ver Angola

Industry

The end of Eka: brewery suspends production and fires workers

EKA's production machines will stop for good as of next month. The decision to suspend activity is due to the fact that operating costs have increased. This decision could put more than 100 people out of work.

:

According to Marc Mayer, general manager of the brewery, the suspension of activity comes into effect as early as next month. He also made it known that this decision could put 147 people out of work.

In a statement to Angop, the general manager of EKA also revealed that the decision to suspend activity is due to the fact that the company is experiencing "huge" financial problems. Added to these problems are the difficulties in acquiring raw materials and parts to maintain the machines.

Marc Mayer explained that about 70 per cent of EKA's revenues are used to purchase spare parts and raw materials. The remaining 30 percent of the revenues, which reach the company through sales, have been used to pay taxes and wages, leaving the brewery without profit at the end of the month, he completed, thus justifying the decision to stop production.

The company consists of 197 workers, however, this stoppage will force EKA to send away 147 people who are linked to the company through a limited time contract. The remaining 50, who have contracts for an indefinite period, will ensure that the company's minimum services are maintained.

Once closed, EKA will become a commercial warehouse for the Castel group's products, he said.

By 2018 EKA had already suffered a significant reduction in its production: there was a 40 per cent drop after its first filling line was shut down.

As a result, production capacity fell from 55,000 litres of beer per hour to 27,000.

However, the costs of operating continued to rise, putting the company in major financial trouble.

Related