Ver Angola

Health

Malongo oil field in isolation. Minister of Health went to the site

After a suspected case of Covid-19 infection was detected at the Malongo oil field in Cabinda, the authorities decided, by prevention, to isolate the site for the next 15 days. The Health Minister travelled to Cabinda province this Thursday to assess the measures taken by oil companies to prevent the virus.

:

The presence of a suspected case of Covid-19 in the Malongo camp was announced by the Minister of Health herself, Silvia Lutucuta. So far, there is no information on the identity of the suspect.

However, according to the VOA, the test to determine if the suspect is infected with Covid-19 has already been sent to Luanda.

Faced with the possibility of the suspect testing positive, the multi-sectoral committee has convened an urgent meeting with all companies operating in the field. The meeting discussed the restrictions to be applied during the coming weeks regarding entry and exit from the camp.

The vice-governor for the social and political sector, Alberto Paca, quoted by the VOA, explained that no one will be able to leave or enter the Malongo camp. He also asked the companies to analyze and reformulate, if necessary, their work system so that the virus does not spread.

On Thursday, the minister went to Cabinda and visited the Malongo oil field to assess the measures taken by the oil sector companies in the field of prevention against Covid-19.

"We have already traced more than 150 samples and so far we have no positive cases," said the minister, quoted by Angop.

Silvia Lutucuta also said, in statements to the press, that besides Cabinda, the multi-sector commission was also in the oil village of Soyo, in Zaire province, to assess the conditions of response to a possible confirmation of cases of the new coronavirus.

Related