Considered the oldest square in the province of Benguela, this site was once an important commercial centre.
It was in this square that caravans of wax, ivory and rubber traders from the interior of the province gathered.
In 1846, the square became a strategic place to defend the surroundings, which at the time were being attacked by the Mundombe. Thus, a cannon ended up being placed in the square, facing Dombe Grande.
In 1935, the statue with the small cannon was inaugurated, which can still be visited in the square.