In a statement sent to Lusa, signed by the general director of HAB, Mário Fernandes, the institution states that the patient arrived at 5:58 am local time, on Tuesday, in a serious condition, brought by family members to the emergency room.
Upon entry, he adds, the patient was taken to the doctor on duty, but he “not only did not provide any medical assistance with medication, but also ordered his family members to transport him out of the hospital unit”, said Mário Fernandes, alluding to images of the system of video surveillance.
The patient died “minutes later in the area adjacent to the hospital”, says the note, highlighting that “there are indications” that the doctor acted “without informing the other professionals on shift and the supervisor on duty”.
The HAB management announced the suspension of the medical team, following the incident, and reported the incident, due to alleged negligence of the medical team on duty, to the Criminal Investigation Service (SIC).
Images circulating on social media show the corpse of a young man on the ground outside the HAB, located in the Urban District of Rangel.
In addition to reporting the incident to the SIC and suspending the entire team on duty, the HAB management says it also informed the Attorney General's Office about the “seriousness of the case”, providing all the necessary information.
The hospital unit also reported the case to the Medical Association (Ormed) for treatment of the matter in an ethical and deontological context.
The public hospital, in a statement, also “deeply” regretted what happened, presented the family with “feelings of regret” and reiterated “the commitment to do everything to ensure due accountability, in order to prevent episodes of this nature from happening again”.
The president of the National Union of Angolan Doctors, Adriano Manuel, held the Ministry of Health and the director of HAB responsible for the young man's death.
Lusa also sought to obtain reactions from Ormed, but so far has not received any response from that body.