Built in the 17th century by Carmelite missionaries, the Church of Nossa Senhora do Carmo is considered one of the most important monuments of religious architecture in the country for its decoration and state of conservation.
The interior of the church, located in Luanda, has a number of baroque works of art, such as Lisbon tiles, gilded carved altars, and paintings on the ceilings of the chancel, nave, and high choir.
The church and convent of Nossa Senhora do Carmo were built by Carmelites who in 1659, at the invitation of D. Luísa de Gusmão, then regent of Portugal, went to Angola.
Initially, the Carmelites stayed at the Franciscan Convent of the Third Order of Saint Joseph and, one year later, the construction of the church and convent began.
Between 1887 and 1897, the church served as Luanda's cathedral while the Cathedral of Luanda was being remodeled.
In 1945, when Angola was still under Portuguese rule, the church was classified as a Portuguese National Patrimony.
Already in 2009, the convent was a candidate for the contest of the Seven Wonders of Portuguese Origin in the World.